Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Blog #2

My topic is the same as week 1 but it has been refined just a little. I intend to focus my paper on athlete rape as a whole. Because there are many studies that support the claim but many that debunk the claim as well. By this I mean the qualities they think they have that make them feel entitled to women from current relevant examples to the correlation between athlete related crimes. During my first phase of research, I found a source that states there is no direct correlation between athletes and rape but discusses similarities with average joes. The search turned up a few important key terms for example, prevention, aggression, and accusations. I found a book entitled Public heroes, private felons : athletes and crimes against women, this book discusses the cases of some athletes and rape and whether they are heroes or felons. The most important issue that I found is aggression and how it relates to the power and determination the athletes think they have. I will also be doing at least two interviews with people who work for the office of violence prevention and victim assistance and possibly an athlete who is a survivor of sexual assault. 

Here are two links that I think are important to my search so far:
1)link 1
This is important because it discusses why student athletes feel entitled to rape and the cause and effect of the scenario.
2) link 2
This link is important because it brings up the idea of connection between athletes and rape. It takes the position that there is no direct correlation but there are certain factors and characteristics that people have when attempting to commit an assault.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.wpr.org/student-athletes-commit-rape-sexual-assaults-more-often-peers
    link one, because it did not work in blog

    ReplyDelete